Thursday, May 4, 2017

Blog Challenge #6: Aging in Place

Aging in place and home modification is an emerging area of practice, according to AOTA. I think this is really interesting and incredibly needed by our growing population of "baby boomers", and for generations beyond. I have a strong interest in pediatrics and school system occupational therapy, but I also have a heart and love for geriatric service. 

My grandmother had to move out of and sell our beautiful and, to me magical, family home when I was in middle school. My grandfather had passed away, and the house was too big for her to keep up on her own. At the time, none of her children lived close enough to be consistent help. It was heartbreaking seeing her have to leave her home and move into an apartment. 

Even more recently, I have had this passion for seeing my husband's grandfather be more active and increase his quality of life. He is living with my husband's aunt with his wife, Grace, who is suffering from the last stages of dementia of the Alzheimer's type. He stays by her bed in a chair, day in and day out. He doesn't want to leave her, but he rarely gets out and does anything. It is a beautiful love and faithfulness to see, but unfortunately, by the severe inactivity he has had in the last few years, his health has declined rapidly, as well. He can not walk well, he has back problems, and he is not engaged or involved. I would love to help him find quality of life and purpose in this stage of his life. I would love to see him get stronger and be able to go out and do things with his family, even make new friends. 

Aging in place is so interesting to me because it allows people to stay in their home, which most have worked for and nurtured most of their life. A home is a special place. I know I would not want to leave mine after a lifetime of memories, work, and love. It encourages people to find meaning, purpose, and activity. To feel involved, included, and capable, in the place that means so much to them, their home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment