Monday, April 24, 2017

NeuroCaseStudy: Will Traynor

Cameron presented his case study today on Will Traynor, who battled a spinal cord injury. He is a character from the book and movie Me Before You. I had not seen the movie or read the book, so learning about him and his life was really interesting for me today. 
After a motorcycle accident, he was faced with a spinal cord injury that resulted in quadriplegic paralysis. He was young, smart, handsome, wealthy, and had an incredibly full and vibrant life. So, his new challenges of SCI were incredibly difficult for him to adjust to and accept. 
I can't imagine facing the struggles that he did, but I know that he still had purpose, and opportunity to make a difference and live a life. As an occupational therapist, I hope that I can constantly see purpose and potential in every one that I work with, and that I am able to make them believe in that and encourage them to find joy in whatever comes their way. 

Our lives are incredibly unpredictable, we are always changing and being affected by change. We have to make the most of every moment we are given, because life, all life, in every shape, circumstance, and form, 
is a gift. 

3 comments:

  1. This was such a heart felt and well thought out post! You have such a sweet OT heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way that you said that life in every shape, circumstance, and form is a gift. Sometimes it is hard to remember that there is always a reason that we are here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely recommend the book... It's an incredible story and it really taught me a lot about living life like it's your last day. It's crazy how much you can learn about yourself from reading a book.

    You have such an incredible outlook on life and I hope that mindset stays with you always! You're going to be a wonderful OT!

    ReplyDelete